As HR2606 gets ready to arrive on President Obama's desk, some new postcards from park users and NYC citizens get ready to be mailed. In their own words:
1. "It's essential that you veto HR2606, NYC Natural Gas Supply Enhancement Act. Save our wildlife."
2. "Please veto HR2606, the NYC Natural Gas Supply Enhancement Act. It is important, not only for the millions of residents of NYC, but for the country. We must protect the national parks from corporate interests."
3. "Please don't destroy what little natural beauty and public wild areas we have left in NY! Please help our souls which need nourishment more than gas."
4. "I'm writing to request that you please veto HR2606. I don't believe, and Ikm sure many will agree, that a natural gas pipeline should be placed under Gateway National Recreation Area. This land is meant to be preserved for future generations and must be protected."
5."I am writing to ask you to veto HR2606, NYC Natural Gas Enhancement Act. I love Riis beach. It is for the public not gas companies."
6. "Veto HR2606. We need to protect our national parks for people and animals."
7. "President Obama please veto HR2606 and protect our natonal parks. We need real answers to climate change."
8."Our nation and city faces enough environmental problems as is. We certainly don't need to chance our few green spaces. Please veto HR2606."
9. "HR 2606 is a terrrible idea because national parks are for animals, nature and people NOT corporations."
I could go on because literally hundreds have been written. But ten will do for now. In their own words and voices, though it's quite clear to me that no one in power is listening.
Just one of the hundreds of postcards Joe collected from park users and NYC citizens against HR2606. Want to know how many people testified in support of the bill? It's three.
More posts on Rockaway Pipeline through Gateway National Recreation Area, HR2606 and the metering and regulating station in the park at Floyd Bennett Field here