Friday, July 5, 2013
The Ridiculous Antics of the Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline
For too long now, I have watched a group of people that I first met last year ruthless and systematically use my own efforts and the efforts of other Floyd Bennett Field gardeners to suit their own purposes. That group of people go by the name of "Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline" and it is a group of people that are responsable for spreading many untruths about the Rockaway Pipeline despite the very best efforts of Floyd Bennett Field users to bring the real story of this pipeline project to light. This Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline is mostly made of folks who belong to other organizations. Those organizations are Brooklyn for Peace, Sane Energy, United for Action and Occupy the Pipeline. The list of ridiculous antics these folks have engaged in for almost a year now is pretty long and I actually think it would take a book to tell that whole tale. I will just start out though by saying just a few of the ridiculous and kooky or otherwise completely non-factual things that these people have promoted or said.
1. That HR 2606 was a bill "bundled" with a host of other bills passed last year infringing on public lands.
2. That National Grid and Williams were actually secretly the same company and not two entirely different corporations
3. That Jamaica Bay was being trenched as part of the Rockaway Lateral Project
4. Post Hurricane Sandy, they along with Occupy Sandy and Occupy the Pipeline promoted the idea that the Rockaway Lateral Project was actually running straight through neighborhoods in the Rockaways and not through Jacob Riis beach and Gateway National Recreation Area.
5. That the gas that will be delivered through the Rockaway Lateral Project is not intended for use in Brooklyn and in NYC but is somehow mysteriously being delivered into Brooklyn but is actually intended to be used by people overseas.
Now that last one is my favorite and I should give credit to some of the people actively promoting this particularly kooky conspiracy theory. They are J.K. Canepa, Martha Cameron, Gary Goff of the Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipline and since this is something one can read on CARP's website, apparently it is now the official line of everyone in their organization. Having actually been associated with this group of people and this Coalition for about three months before realizing very quickly that they were deeply misinformed people, their antics and what they say about the Rockaway Pipeline project have been deeply disturbing for me to watch play out for a while now.
Still despite the ridiculous antics of the Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline, I hold out hope that the truth about this project will eventually come out. This week reporter Sarah Crean connected the Rockaway Pipeline with the currently proposed offshore Port Ambrose Deepwater LNG port and that upcoming project in her story for the Gotham Gazette so I have reason to be hopeful.
It is enormously disappointing to have watched a group of activists, the Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline for almost a full year now willfullly and deliberately hurt my own efforts to reach politician's, government officials and other people about this project. The story of how the Rockaway Project got promoted and pushed through by politicians, the companies and the national park service is actually troubling enough without the added nuisance of misguided activists thrown in for good measure too.