Monday, August 26, 2013

I Was Chasing a Hummingbird Moth

But wound up with a skipper and a wasp. (The hummingbird moths outwit the smartphone camera's capabilities, with their rapid wing movement.) The wasp, I believe is Monobia quadridens, a returning visitor in the garden. I can't remember when the hummingbird moths were flying at Floyd Bennett last year. But one summer I did see them in July, another mid to late august. This year, this weekend was the first I saw of these clearwing moths that fly by day visiting flowers. It's encouraging to see and then recognize at least a few returning pollinating visitors in the garden.
I think Monobia quadridens wasp with a backful of pollen on Monarda punctata, Floyd Bennett Field

2 comments:

Jen said...

That hummingbird moth is so cool and that beebalm is wonderful.

Sweetgum Thursday said...

:) I hope you are wandering and discovering in the catskills.