Friday, August 12, 2011

Joe's Beautiful Garlic (Take Two)


Garlic flowering in Brooklyn

Last year, I celebrated the beauty of Joe's recently harvested garlic bulbs. This year the harvested garlic is just as beautiful and delicious, but I'm celebrating the flowering head of some unharvested bulbs. (Joe left two scapes on and allowed them to mature.) Now, I know there are bulbils and they constitute most of the "bloom", but it does look like some kind of flowering parts are present as well, sterile though they may be, reaching out of the bulbils themselves. It reminds me a bit of the Walking Egytian Onion actually. I hear that you can plant these bulbils and eventually you will get some decent-sized garlic, but I'm not sure that I have the patience or space to dedicate to this experiment. It could take two or three years of planting, harvesting and replanting these tiny clones from what I've read. I have trouble just waiting from fall planting to summer harvesting.

Labels" Allium, Bulbs, Floyd Bennett Gardens Association, Summer, New York City, Garden

4 comments:

meemsnyc said...

I definitely do not have the patience for garlic seeds. Wow.

Sweetgum Thursday said...

I know. That's real committment. Makes me feel like I'm just flirting with my vegetables.

Marie said...

Met Joe last night at Frank's exhibition opening, and he told me to visit his garlic here :-)

Sweetgum Thursday said...

Hi Marie, Sorry I missed you guys. Joe does love his garlic.