Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Little Native Lovin


Doubly so because it's some native pollinators on some native plants (A Redbud and an Oakleaf Hydrangea. The oakleaf is from a little further south, but if we include southeastern plants, it counts.) With just a cellphone, there's no way I can get close enough to capture any details that might make it easier to key out that tiny green metallic bee. Pretty sure it's a sweat bee (Halictidae). I'd love it if it were Augochlora genus because it would be a new one for me, but family is going to have to be good enough for right now (if I even got that right) and a sweet reward for a few hours of weeding today at the community garden.  And though I'm not sure if I ever even watched that whole movie, The Field of Dreams, I know that famous line from it and in the case of native pollinators, it is true. If you build it, they will come. But you have to build it with plants.

No comments: