Monday, July 25, 2011

Flowers in the Hot House































Bouquet by Susan, photo by Susan

My friend Susan, the artist and gardener and a collector of things, only one of them being pitchers, is obviously inspired by color and beauty and this week, zinnias, celosia, cornflowers and sweet peas. Most of these flowers can be and were grown from seed in a small community garden plot in Brooklyn.

This week I've been most inspired by one fantastic native plant that as it happily turns out also happens to have some legs in the vase. Below is Monarda punctata and its fine bracts which remain vibrant as the flowers fade. I used it in a bouquet last Sunday night and this is how it looks after one incredibly hot week in Brooklyn. I don't know if it's a plant that's used in the trade at all, but I'm sold on it both in the vase and in the garden. (The coneflower and yarrow don't look too shabby either.)



For more inspiration visit Jane and company at SmallButCharming. There will be links and of course, flowers in houses cause that's the theme.

6 comments:

flwrjane said...

I took the liberty of linking you up because I love your blog and would like more people to meet you and your sweet world.

As every your flowers are just right, as is Susan's.

Is it still hotter than the 3rd circle of hell there?

xo Jane

the fishermans cottage said...

Your flowers are so lovely and cheerful, love the textures and colours :) x

bowstreetflowers said...

pretty zinnias! the monarda is native? like grows in vacant lots? I'd love to use it in the shop!

webb said...

Neat monarda! I'd love to grow that one! Thanks for sharing.

Sweetgum Thursday said...

Jane thanks for linking me in while I gallivant on my bicycle to see some horses race in saratoga. And thanks 4 the supersweet sentiments. Thanks all. I'm head over heels for the monarda too and I love what susan sees in color. The monarda is native to the US, but I've never seen it growing wild myself. Could be I'm not hanging around the right places. I'd search for a good sourceof info for you on it Bowstreet, but am using my phone for this and it's driving me bonkers. Try ladybird johnsons wildflower database online for info. It's got to be there. What I can tell you is that the bees and wasps will love you if you do grow it webb.

Gill said...

I tried growing Monarda a few years ago but they didn't do very well. I think I will try again.