Friday, July 22, 2011

Things Passed Along the Way

I garden in an abandoned airport in New York City with a little slice carved out for a thriving community garden and my bicycle is my transport to this slice of heaven. Yesterday, these are a few things I passed along the way:


A syprhid fly, a great masquerader. I swear I see more flies on flowers than bees, but lately all the species I see, whether fly, bee or moth, look like they're sporting cool sunglasses. It is New York City afterall, maybe they feel the pressure to be cool or maybe it's just part of their disguise.

Queen Anne's Lace, the current dominant weedflower (wildflower, I guess it's how you define it) lining the sides of the roads and something that's a getting a lot closer to prairie than pavement at old Floyd Bennett airfield.




And Linaria vulgaris (Butter and Eggs), a first time identification for me. I've seen it in books before and must have been riding blindly past it for more years than I'd like to admit now, but this year I not only noticed it, but I had a name to give it. And that's just one of the reasons I'm happy that I started growing vegetables and paying attention to plants. Now I have a name for the things I pass along the way while riding my bicycle. It's downright orienting.

5 comments:

flwrjane said...

Butter and eggs is a new one for me ( in a manner of speaking).

You're riding your bike in this weather?

I salute you too. (been doing that all over the blog world today. Read Floret Farms and get a load of her life. Whew,).

xo Jane

sarah said...

butter and eggs! me too, this year! awesome name for it, too. also, the phrase "downright orienting" -- I may have to steal it. stay hydrated down there - it's beastly out. we just drove from NJ back up to VT - 100+ all the way. Man.

Sweetgum Thursday said...

So yay for Butter and Eggs and first times. Sarah-you may steal or ahem borrow any phrase of your choice. And I'll let you in on the secret Jane. Biking's not nearly so hard as running in the superhot weather as long as you go easy. Sometimes it actually feels cooler on the bike because you're essentially creating your own breeze as you ride. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

frank@nycgarden said...

Those flies even wear their sunglasses in the subway, that's how cool they are.

I call this season orange and white for daylily and queen annes lace.

Do you take Flatbush all the way? If so , forget the heat, you got worse problems!

Sweetgum Thursday said...

Hi Frank. Flatbush (only on the sidewalk) from right around the golf course on if we don't feel like either rolling slow through the sand on what's left of the Plumb Beach bike lane or riding a brief spell on the Belt, which is terrifying and illegal. If you wanted to ride to Tilden, I'd tell you to go straight down the Bedford bike lane to Emmons, hang the left and then hook up with the bike path while it's still around and not under water. It's the path for you. You can guage the wind by how many windsurfers you see out and look for weeds and wildflowers. And as you know from the prevailing winds, you'll get a little push a lot of the way home.