Friday, July 8, 2011

Today's Tiny Pollinators


The really beautiful white-flowering swamp milkweed around the corner was host to some very tiny pollinators this afternoon. It was hard to tell with the naked eye if they were wee wasps or bees, they were so miniscule. But I'm gonna go with a tiny native bee after looking at the photographs and doing some research on bugguide.net and a few other sources. The face markings resemble the Hylaeus modestus pictured on bugguide.net somewhat, at least to my eye. I wouldn't try for species, but might guess that the bee could be in the Hylaeus genus. The swamp milkweed host, a cultivated form of Asclepias incarnata, I believe, (possibly 'Ice Ballet') is pretty fantastic looking too and really graceful with its narrow leaves and perfectly white flowers. It's a native too.

1 comment:

OLDLADYWITH FLARE said...

I JUST LIKE IT, PERIOD.

GRANNY FROM FLORIDA