Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Yesterday's Pollinator: The Hummingbird moths are back in Brooklyn

Hemaris moth on Butterfly Bush, Floyd Bennett Field

It's about a month earlier than when I first saw them last year and this year they look like they're wearing sunglasses. For more info on this genus of moth in North America go here. Its caterpillar stage looks similar to a tomato hornworm, but is not a feeder on the solanaceae family as far as I know. The adult moths however love the Butterfly Bush for sure. You have to love a moth that masquerades as both a bee and a bird.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Howdy Ms. Sweetgum,

Thanks for your Words of Encouragement re: running in the heat, etc.

Irritatingly, it's NOT a swamp rose mallow (I think) because the leaves are deeply, deeply cut. According to my trusty Newcomb's flower guide, that mallow has not-deeply-divided leaves. Grr. Maybe it's a cultivar of some kind. Dunno.

Nice moth! Wow.

=)

/sarah

Sweetgum Thursday said...

well..maybe a musk mallow then? It does have divided leaves and I think would grow by the side of the road or an old field. Keep cool out there this week. I know I'll be riding my bike with a bottle of water dumped on my head to survive. I find that if I can just keep my head cool, I'm all right.