Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cycling and ID'ing in Prospect Park
















One of my favorites. Sweetgum, Liquidambar styraciflua, near the hill by zoo.





















A witchhazel, Hamemelis, not sure of species, near zoo fence and sweetgum. I know there's some Hammemelis virginiana on the other side of the road. I saw it blooming last November.





















Liriodendrum tulipifera, Tulip Tree. This one is on the west loop. I saw it blooming this year on May 10. There are a number of beautiful ones in the park.
















Eastern Redbud, Cercis canadensis, top of hill above lawn. There are a few scattered throughout the park.

Also seen: Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides near bottom of loop near pond. Various Yellowoods, Cladrastis kentukea which were in bloom here on May 15. Horsechestnut at bottom of loop, Oxydendrum aroboreum on east end behind the lawn they play soccer on and Kwanzan cherries at Grand Army Plaza Entrance. I think there's a Cryptomeria japonica here at the entrance too. At least that's what it looked like to me. I guess sometimes cycling is about horticulture. It was last night.

No comments: