Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's all about Alliums





















On the way out of the garden today, Susan and I thought we spotted some alliums about to bloom. A chive perhaps? I don't know. I'll have to find out. I do know that Susan and I have both said we'd be happy with a garden filled with alliums alone. If wikipedia is right, we could fill a large garden with some 500 species of allium. From the edibles to the decorative, it seems like there's always one blooming somewhere (at least in spring) or one making your tomato sauce delicious (in summer). True, the ones I know bloom mostly in the spring, but there are some late bloomers and I even planted one in my children's box that is supposed to bloom in the fall. Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'. I hope it blooms before we rip the plants out to plant spring bulbs because I'm looking forward to seeing its pink flowers. Right now it kind of resembles a dying grass though. Next year, I will remember to leave at least one garlic bulb in the ground just to see it flower.

A flashback at some alliums in bloom from this year:




































Monocot & Perennial borders, May 7





















Walking Egyptian Onion donated by Margaret for my box at BBG's children's garden, June 6





















Sylvia's majestic elephant garlic flowers about to open at Floyd Bennett, June 10





















Rose arc, June 23.

No comments: