Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cilantro and Clover

Cilantro flowers, Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn

I think that even if I didn't use Cilantro as a culinary herb, I'd plant it in the garden just for the blooms. Lucky for me, the long-standing Cilantro that I let go to seed in my garden last year has come up in new places this year and a few plants are blooming again. This is beyond a win-win situation in the vegetable garden. I get pretty long-blooming flowers while attracting beneficials to the garden, and I may just never have to purchase Cilantro seed again. Or if I want, I can harvest that seed, and wallah, I have Coriander. I'm sold. The Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum) will forever be allowed to hang around my vegetable garden in all its stages.

The clover pictured below is also paying off handsomely. I planted it as a cover crop for its nitrogen-fixing qualities and to attract bees, but it's not half bad in bloom either.

3 comments:

Frank said...

I have eternally bad luck with cilantro, yet I keep trying. Maybe this year at the beach farm...

Sweetgum Thursday said...

maybe 2011 is your year for fall cilantro...if you need a seedling, come over the bridge back to Brooklyn and we can pluck one out of my plot for you. I have a feeling they'll be coming up everywhere. Probably best to wait for late summer though if you're looking to eat it and not watch it bolt and flower, fun as that is.

frank@nycg said...

I've planted seeds twice, no three times this season already. I've got one spare branched seedling in a pot near my apartment. All the others yet to come up. Thanks for the offer:)
I could buy starts at the nursery, but in the past I've little luck from them too, always weak plants.