Monday, June 6, 2011

If You Can't Beat Them

If you can't beat them, enjoy them
The link goes to today's NYBGtumblr post, (that's the New York Botanical Garden in case you like me are often confused by abbreviations) which gave a little shoutout to my post about weeds in a vase on the window sill. Sweet. I don't know what to say. I'm flattered that this amazing institution (or rather someone working there) found their way to this little site of mine. And since I've never done a post without a picture, to celebrate, here's a picture of a flowering weed spotted today and a pollinator, who also seemed to enjoy it.












The weed is Potentilla recta, or at least that's the closest I could get to ID'ing it. The pollinator? A bee mimic. Some kind of hover fly, maybe a Sphaerophoria species. The fly is probably cooler than the plant because not only is it a pollinator disguised as another pollinator, its larvae also feeds on aphids. Or so I read on Bugguide.net. At least I can say with some confidence that I think it's a Syrphid Fly. I've said it before, but it's worth saying again. You never know what you're going to discover on bike rides down to the community garden at Floyd Bennett Field, but you know what? There's always something worth seeing.
Thanks NYBG Tumblr. You made my day.

2 comments:

Ann Rafalko said...

Hey! No problem! We (okay, I, hi, my name is Ann Rafalko and I'm the Director of Online Content at NYBG which means I blog, tweet, parse developer talk and tumbl) love your blog! Keep up the great work and let me know if there's ever anything I can help you out with. Have a great weekend!

Sweetgum Thursday said...

Thanks Ann. Enjoy NYBG's tumblr and blog as well. I liked that recent video on the cottonwood. Very cool.