Saturday, September 10, 2011

On Goldenrod

Solidago speciosa, a garden gift from Susan in today's what's blooming bouquet

The time of goldenrod is long. This year, I saw my first goldenrod blooms in late July on the road to Saratoga and just this week in September, the Solidago speciosa (Showy Goldenrod) from Susan in my own garden began blooming. (I clipped only a little, leaving most of it in the garden for the local pollinators.) Yesterday, while taking a flower break from riding laps in Prospect Park, I couldn't even count the species I saw visiting this pollinator favorite. But I saw a new Syrphid fly and a wasp I'd never seen before just standing before those sunny native blooms for a few minutes.

Syrphid fly probably in Genus Eristalis on Goldenrod in Prospect Park, Brooklyn

No comments: