Monday, May 16, 2011

The Buttes, In the Beginning

Potato plant emerging in Spring, Floyd Bennett Garden, Brooklyn

I've been watching 'volunteers' spring up in last year's potato bed for the last two weeks, which means I wasn't so thorough harvesting last year's batch in the dusk. But it was a lesson learned (don't harvest potatoes after dark). The Buttes I planted two weeks ago are pushing up just a hair later than the ones leftover in the soil, which makes me think it's a fine time for them to be getting started. If I didn't have onions and leeks already planted in the bed of volunteer potatoes and wasn't worried about rotating the crops in my vegetable beds, I would have liked to watch those volunteers grow and see which plants produced better, this year's new seed or last year's.

No comments: