Friday, May 20, 2011

In a Bowl


and in a vase on the windowsill...



I love that things that have brought me joy (and dinner courses) in the last few days are close to my home. Two of those things are pictured above: a spinach (and arugula and kale) salad grown by Joe and some Crimson Clover from the herb garden at Brooklyn Botanic that Caleb tends.

It's no secret that I have an affinity for BBG's new herb garden (slash orchard and vegetable patch), but one of my favorite things about this garden is seeing how Caleb has incorporated cover crops there amongst the apple trees and herbs. Crimson Clover is also a favorite and a bloom we are currently waiting on in the pumpkin patch that Joe tends at Floyd Bennett Field. And now, courtesy of Caleb, these pretty Crimson Clover blooms sit in a vase on my windowsill. Later in the week I'll try my hand at drying them if not they're not already spent. This is a cool plant. It fixes nitrogen in the soil and it looks good in a vase.

No comments: